Thursday, October 25, 2012

Midnight Minded



In the vulnerable hours
Of the night,
I am frightened by much more
Than the dark,

There’s a certain curse
That falls upon you and me,
When the swelter of the sun
Descends behind the sky,

The moonless sky
Of my midnight mind
Extricates my repressed past
To the forefront of consciousness,
The anxieties and disorders,
Project a forecast
For tonight’s panicked nerves
Which during daylight hours
Are so easily concealed,
Which tonight,
Stand proud and pure.

My lungs deflate,
My blood grows acidic,
My muscles, taut,
My bones, arthritic,

I call to you
With no reply,
I wrack my brain
Still a starless sky,
I am prisoner
To my own raucous head
My frail, shaking skin,
My prickling bones
The sun rises
The alarm drones
The sun rises
After a scheduled sleep
With watering eyes
And baggage deep

I hear your voice
But talk is cheap

I think I’d rather
Be asleep.

2012

No comments:

Post a Comment