Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Your Presence Like Blankets

I am clothed in you,
Wrapped tightly
In your presence
Like Blankets.
Everything on me is warm
But the toes
At the end of my boots.
However,
Today it does not matter. 
It’s as if my whole body’s been
bundled up in sweaters
When you say my name
And do not realize,
Or when you pay me
Such sincere
Kind words. 
I am encompassed in your comfort,
Day to day.
When I awake you are there
Like the unfailing comforter
That embraces me each morning. 
I carry you with me like
A big toasty winter coat
And when a gust of wind
Comes rolling through
You are there
To cover me.

I wear your warmth so often
My cheeks almost begin to sear,
But I love feeling
The heat under my freckles
Of skin perennially tinged pink.

And my heart,
Today
Is the warmest of all. 
Still,
The tip of my nose is chilled. 
I try to ignore
The tickle at the end
Of cold fingers and toes
The chill that resides
At the uncoverable
Corner of my nose.

The fear will not take me
It is far too feeble to endure
As I have something much stronger
Even if I'm stunted
In the articulation.

What I have
is your presence like blankets.

In due time
I will buy thicker socks,

I will learn
Not to forget my gloves
On the kitchen counter,
Anymore.

I will not need to ignore
The chill of fear
chasing down my spine
In the shiver of the night
When the temperature dips

And my heart,
That day,
When I may give it without constraint,
Will be the warmest of all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment