Friday, January 13, 2012

My Selfish Deposit Box


Do not pity me.
For I am selfish
Somewhere.

I am self-assured,
In a nook
Of myself
That remains
Perpetually foreign
To all but myself.

It may be hidden
In the shallow basin
Of a collarbone,
Or the spaces
Between my fingers.

But it’s doubtful,
For they’ve been
Searched.
And no one has
Found me yet.

I am selfish
Within.

In this crevice
Somewhere
Inside of me,
I know myself
Quite well.

It may conceal itself
In the crook
Of my elbow.
Or the back
Of my knees
But it will always be
It thrives
Somewhere

In this space
Where the
Secrets weave
gracefully
among their desolate
beating brothers.
Through one another
Through one another

That’s where
My knowledge lies.

It may be lost,
Drowning in a sea
Of strands,
Swimming through
The waves
Of my hair.

That’s where
My selfish tendencies
Thrive.

I care for her
I care for him
I care for you

But I care for me more
In this ugly
Unknown
Space.

And here I am not sorry.
Here I mend myself.

And this is why
I’m not looking for
Apologies
Because for you
the place
May not be hidden
Secret, or dark.

Still,
There you mend yourself.
And there,
You shall never be sorry.



2012

No comments:

Post a Comment